lunes, 30 de septiembre de 2013

Miley Cyrus – Twerking Queen or Just Obscene? - Platform Online

I remember being 12 years old, and absolutely loving Hannah Montana. To be quite honest, if I hear 'Best of Both Worlds' now I still can't help but mouth the words along. Miley Cyrus is my age, so I truly feel like I have grown up beside her. When I was drinking underage with my friends at GCSE parties, we would be screaming along to 'Party in the USA', I wept at sleepovers whilst watching 'The Last Song', and I brushed off her shaving her head as 'she just being Miley'. But recently, everywhere Miley goes, there's controversy – so, is her new style a cry for help, or an intelligent marketing scheme to catapult her to Britney Spears status?

Now, when discussing her current style, we have to revisit the recent VMAS. I KNOW – we're all trying to forget it as well, but we must return to it. Miley wore a latex nude bra and short combination, whilst her short locks were tied in two buns on the top of her head. Interesting, to say  the least, however it wasn't particularly flattering, as her behind wasn't as toned as you'd believed from all her twerking (NOTE: i would die for her figure, that wasn't a slate!) Additionally,  she was also seen performing recently in a fishnet vest with nipple covers. It seems as if her public persona is under a strict schedule from her stylist, who has been given a brief by Miley's 'people' in order to direct her career in a new post-Disney direction. When seen out in public, or on chat shows, she seems to be rocking a distinctive 'high class hooker' look, with thigh high boots, tiny shorts and huge fur coats. However, the boots will be Gucci, and the coat will be Versace – paying homage to the face that Cyrus can afford to look this cheap. It seems like she is desperately forcing her sexuality onto the world, and de-prettifying herself in a bid to show the world that she is no longer the cookie cutter Disney girl of the past. In a sense, if feels like her stylists are trying too hard…

 

But, on the other hand, if you try and blur away the trauma of that latex outfit, you can almost see the Miley behind the stylist. When papped out and about in LA, Cyrus is wearing a simple pair of shorts, a vest and shirt with Dr Martens – a casual but effortlessly cool look, showcasing the fact she is actually quite a cool girl. It's outfits like these that show us that Miley, on her own, is still a Southern girl with a casual vibe – and in her daisy duke shorts, that she has a fantastic set of pins. In the recent 'Wrecking Ball' video (aside from the fact she's naked and licking a sledgehammer) she kept it simple in white pants and a white vest, which in essence makes you listen to the song and realise what an absolute tune it is. And hey, sometimes she does get it right – remember the white and black harlequin jumpsuit she wore on the red carpet? You can't get much more chic. I must also admit that I absolutely love her new hair. It's completely different to anything you could have pictured her doing, and she completely works it. And if you can afford to change your whole wardrobe based on a haircut, let's face it, you would too.

So, personally, aside from the slightly cringe VMA performance, the over sharing about how much she LOVES weed, and the latex outfit (sorry I can't forget it), I love Miley. Always have always will. I love her casual style, and to be honest, if I could afford/get away with thigh high boots – I would probably wear them. I can't wait for her new album, and to see what she'll do next. What do you think?

Louisa Davies – Deputy Fashion Editor

Tags: , , , ,

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario